Teen Prescription Drug Abuse Is A Major Issue
- Almost 1 in 4 teens report having misused or abused prescription drugs at least once in their life
(that's around 5 million teens).
- Prescription and over-the-counter drugs are the most commonly abused substances by teens, after marijuana and alcohol.
- Prescription drugs are the drug of choice among 12-13 year olds.
Prescription Medications Are Easy To Access For Many Teens
- 73% of teens say it is easy to access prescription drugs from their parents' medicine cabinet.
- 38% of teens who have misused or abused prescription drugs obtained them from their parents' medicine cabinet.